3.9 underscore still there?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 20 22:10:38 UTC 2006

Tim,

===================
I *thought* I had read that the use of the underscore for assign
symbol had been expunged and all the code converted to use := but
whilst looking at the compiled method source pointer stuff I noticed
an awful lot of underscores still around. Is this a mistake or an
unexpected reversion ?
===================

I don't know that I ever caught a final statement on it, but there
appeared to be problems with the removal.  First, there were troubles
identifying comments and literals[*], and either related to the first
snag or independently troublesome, I thought I read of widespread
badness after the "fix".

My interest in underscores is mostly to enable them to appear within
selectors.  There is a fix for underscores at all but the first slot
(which almost completely fixes the problem for me), and I would like to
see it in the mainstream image if we can't fix the real problem.  I had
hoped that the fix would no longer be needed courtesy of m17n, but that
appears not to have happened yet.

[*] Could the RB help?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.