3.9 browser speed

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Oct 21 20:17:06 UTC 2006

Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> the reason will be in the gradient background of windows. The
> background is processed during every update now but the previous
> versions were more optimized.

Good theory, but I don't think this is the problem. When I turn off both
TTFs and gradients in 3.9 I still get something like here:

	Run 1:  811 msecs
	Run 2: 1191 msecs
	Run 3: 1483 msecs
	Run 4: 1867 msecs

It's a little better but not significantly (and it still feels way too
slow). BTW, if anyone wants to repeat the experiments, the changes that
I did for this test were:
* setting the window title font to a non-TTF (Accuny 14 in my case)
* change SystemWindow>>gradientWithColor: to return just the color
So I'm still at a loss what has changed to introduce that slowdown.

Hm ... let me try something. Oh, yes, now *that* would explain it. Turn
on #debugShowDamage in 3.9 and watch how it redraws the entire screen
almost every time you click anywhere in a browser. Ouch. No idea why
that is but it sure explains the effect.

Cheers,
   - Andreas