Minnow WIKI Migration

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 03:54:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:04:12PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >The wiki status is one of the agenda items of tonight's board meeting:
> >
> >http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/
> >109791.html
>
> Right. But since the Board cannot order people to do something, it
> would need offers.

I'll offer. I will need the help of the web team.

How much interest is there in changing the Wiki engine? I have
encountered 3 obstacles in the Swiki setup (or at least, how it
works an the Minnow Swiki:
- no user-name based logging. It is very hard to translate the
  computer names stored in the change log into who did the
  editing
- no easy rollback. It is possible, but not very convenient, to
  roll-back a page to a previous state. One must copy and paste
  the old text into the edit box.
- willy-nilly page locking. Many wiki engines only allow a
  moderator to lock a page. In the Swiki, however, anyone can
  lock a page and prevent rollback until an administrator comes
  along.
There are other, minor issues with the Swiki, but those are the
big ones.

A transition would most likely be a one or two phase process:
1.  Get the wiki off of the Minnow servers at Georgia tech.
    (what about the other Swikis they host? Croquet?)

2.  If there is interest, translate the wiki database to another
    format, most likely Magma + Pier.

I am not too familiar with Comanche or Seaside, but I am sure
they are easy enough to learn.

> TSTTCPW is to move the actual installation to our server. That would
> take someone to work with the box admin team to do it.

Probably. Who are those people?

> Maybe we could even pursue the GA Tech folks to repoint their minnow
> DNS entry to us - there's an awful lot of links on the web to minnow.

Mark: do you think this would be possible?

> I can see several other ways to continue, but none without severe
> drawbacks. All would require significantly more work, so there would
> have to be volunteers to do it.

Well, I am volunteering. What are your other ideas?

Mark: please reply to squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org if
possible

--
Matthew Fulmer