The Weekly Juan #2: Morphic 3.0

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sun Oct 22 09:33:09 UTC 2006

At 00:27 22.10.2006, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>Hi Folks.
>
>The Weekly Juan #2 is out at www.jvuletich.org . Today I talk a bit about
>my New Morphic project.
>
>Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome, especially discussion about the
>ideas and the design.
>
>Thanks,
>Juan Vuletich

Hi Juan,
Yes, I do like it. Reducing the responsibilities of the base Morph class
can only lead to a much simpler system. The danger is that the complexity
will be reintroduced in the subclasses. As you say, it was the
"enhancements" that made the current Morphic so intractable. Yet, the
substance of every enhancement was needed by somebody at some time. Many of
the enhancements are now widely used in many contexts.

I believe that the difficulties with Morphic were caused by the lack of a
document clearly laying out how to do extensions and what to avoid. It
could be in the form of an architecture document or possibly a pattern
language. (A pattern language could be preferable because it is concise and
extensible).

"The Morph hierarchy should not be a hierarchy of shapes." I take it you
will be using delegation rather than subclassing for different shapes. This
should take care of a great many problems with enhancements.

It will be very interesting to see how you intend to handle input. (I have
spent many hours trying to understand why a certain morph got balloon help
while another didn't, and I still don't know the answer)

I sometimes see an unfortunate trend to hide the "dirty details" of a new
paradigm implementation (e.g., in a superclass or behind an unspecified
interface). I hope you plan to avoid this trap. The beauty of Smalltalk is
that everything is there to be studied and even modified by anybody. Hiding
stuff behind a smoke screen perverts this principle. Do it right, do it
simple, do it transparent. Then all kinds of wonderful edifices can be
built on top of it.

This is too long already, so I just end with
My best wishes for you applaudable efforts
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway