Removing Etoys (was Re: A process proposal for 3.10)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Oct 24 16:27:01 UTC 2006

Hi Bert and all!

(sitting at OOPSLA, not having read all posts in this thread)

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> As Juan wrote, removing Etoys from Morphic while keeping it both
> loadable and functioning properly is futile.

That seems to be an established fact, yes.

> So either you leave it in, or you consciously give up compatibility
> with anyone using Etoys now, like the squeakland distribution, OLPC
> distribution, Smalland, the Spanish LinEx version, the Japanese
> Nihongo version etc.

You mean "compatibility" in the sense of being able to load eToys
projects made in those other "distros" into "official" Squeak?

And if so, is this really something people do today? Aren't most eToys
users using those other distros already?

Or are you also saying "compatibility" as in being able to share
improvements to Morphic itself?

If so, then how much of that is actually going on? And if there is -
aren't we already forked off quite a bit when it comes to Morphic
itself?

I am just trying to ask the "right" questions :).

> Already synchronizing Squeakland and 3.8 was
> hard, nobody has tried yet for 3.9, but this would make it outright
> impossible.
>
> I'm *not* saying you should not do this, but please be aware of the
> possible consequences.

There are also positive consequences. As many, many have been saying -
Morphic is a mess. Perhaps we could end up with a clean Morphic that
could actually lend itself to further development and a prolonged life.
AFAICT Tweak is not there yet to replace Morphic in official Squeak so
we will probably have to live with Morphic for quite a few years until
something else gets good enough to try to replace it. Just my guess.

regards, Göran

PS. How many Squeakers on squeak-dev use eToys in official Squeak, hands
up?