SqueakSource: RESTful URLs?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 07:07:19 UTC 2006

2006/10/25, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Hi Guys -
>
> I've been looking to link up source code directly to web pages and was
> wondering how hard it would be to support RESTful Urls on SqueakSource.
> What I'm thinking about is something like an interface that allows us to
> browse particular classes, for example:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/browse/ss/SqueakSource-pmm.1002/SSAccessPolicy/admins
>
> There might be other ways to formulate the request in nicer ways but you
> get the idea, namely that we can link to particular classes and methods
> in a well-defined way instead of having to explain "go to
> http://squeaksource.com/ss.html then click on <versions>, then find
> SqueakSource-pmm.1002, then click on <browse code>, then click on
> SSAccessPolicy, and then click on the admins method".
>
> Since I have never touched the SS code base I have no idea how hard it
> would be to implement such a feature. So perhaps anyone else is
> interested in adding an improvement like that?

Hi

The biggest problem is that SS runs on Seaside 2.3. Later versions of
Seaside have much better support for dealing with RESTful urls.
The 2xx versions where an attempt to to port it to Seaside 2.5. It failed.

If you want to have a look at it, SSSession would be the starter since
all the handling of the urls happens there. Just be warned, it is
quite messy code.

Cheers
Philippe