SqueakSource: RESTful URLs?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:08:22 UTC 2006

2006/10/25, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > The biggest problem is that SS runs on Seaside 2.3. Later versions of
> > Seaside have much better support for dealing with RESTful urls.
> > The 2xx versions where an attempt to to port it to Seaside 2.5. It failed.
>
> Is there hope to revive that process?

Well you summarized it pretty good in your open source vs. commercial
software rant ;)
I think there are plans for a student project that aims for a complete rewrite.

> > If you want to have a look at it, SSSession would be the starter since
> > all the handling of the urls happens there. Just be warned, it is
> > quite messy code.
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the control flow is in
> Seaside...

Place a halt in the code ;)
the starting point is #enterSessionWithRequest:
#createRootFromRequest: creates the component and selects the project
if the url ends with .html. There you could do more things like
depending on the url like displaying classes and urls.
You will probably also have to adjust #wantsSessionForRequest: and friends.

Generating restful links (that can be bookmarked) with Seaside 2.3 is
a whole different issue.

Philippe