The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Mikael Kindborg mikael.kindborg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 07:08:11 UTC 2006

Hi.

Here are some properties of Smalltalk/Squeak I like a lot:

"Duck typing" (dynamic typing)
Late binding (runtime modification)
Image-based environment
Navigation & browsing tools (like senders/implementers)
Access to complete source for the system
Children's stuff (eToys and various playful objects) are part of the
distribution
Flexible "windowing system" (Morphic/Tweak)

Squeak is like a spreadsheet in the respect that a change instantly
affects the system (this dynamic aspect is one of the things that made
spreadsheets popular, you can experiment with your data, it is not a
static calculation). Very few systems have this today, even Lisp
systems seem to have lost this aspect, Python/Ruby could have it, but
no tools seem to take advantage of it.

Best, Micke