open process issues

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Oct 26 19:55:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 12:54 -0700, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> writes:
> > Well it should be noted that this is a complete list of all 'official'
> > teams which is a mixture of Steward Teams (those who have accepted
> > responsibility for some part of the Basic Squeak Image) and other teams
> > like the Website team and future/speculative teams.  Any team that is
> > responsible for some part of the image should have 'Stewards' as part of
> > the name and the description should list the Class Categories in the
> > image for which that team is responsible.  For example:
> >
> > Morphic Stewards - Maintaining the Morphic- category of classes in the
> > Basic Squeak Image
>
> Okay, I'll start thinking of maintainership as you describe.  It looks
> like a good approach to me.
>
> This leaves another thorny question, of course: what *does* happen
> with code that has no stewarding team?  Does it not get bug fixes?
> Does Marcus simply get it dumped on his head to sort out?  Maybe
> that's the best kind of approach that is possible.
>

> -Lex

Yes, if a change is fundamentally related to a class category for which
there is no stewards team then the responsibility falls back on the
release team.  Clearly the forming of steward teams has not progressed
as quickly as hoped.

Of course anyone who cares to spend a quiet afternoon Squeaking is more
than welcome to grab a bug or two and post fixes to the appropriate
Mantis reports.  This would at least lower the workload for the release
team.  But then we all dream from time to time. ;)

Ken