[Q] What I wish Squeak have from minute one

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Oct 26 21:01:00 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel puso en su mail :

> Instead Squeak community is expecting, IIANM, from you the initial
> "promoter" of your own ideas:
>

> a - a formal release announcement (alpha, beta, gamma, rc, release),
> perhaps more or less of these steps.

But I can't do such announcement.
What I could, I doing.

1) Following all what Pavel do and supporting. Maybe pushing he a little
sometimes.

2) As I was with Juan in Morphic Team and we email sometimes, I know the
quality of his works. Maybe I see some work of he not in the public view.

3) I still learning the deeps o Smalltalk/Squeak.

> b - a reasonable commitment that the maintainer fully supports her/his
> "thing" for a long time, now and in the future.

I have for SqueakLight. And hope what someone with more deep Smalltalk made
the 3.9 version (and the reason for help/disturb to Pavel and Juan).

SqueakLight began before Pavel works and have different ideas and long time
goal.

At this time is one small practical image, have almost all my forces and I
try to listen all complaints and do fixes.

> I do not believe that Squeak community will run a voting on your
> suggestions. I learned that Squeak community does not function this way.
> They probably fear a) to commit themselves without having later a chance
> to bail out, b) that such a voting could be run quite frequently (2-3
> times/year) because everybody can ask for a new run and c) whatever their
> very personal reasons are: for example a possible incompatibility with one
> of their favorite package(s), which might be overruled by a voting, to
> their incovenience.

Not writing to list our feelings or wish list for Squeak raise havoc ?
If this is how the cookie scrambles, well , I try to not email for a long
time.

Thanks for perspective view.
Edgar