I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Tue Oct 31 16:27:48 UTC 2006

Hi Hernan,

> So what I don't understand is why everybody insists on  using etoys
> in squeak-dev 3.9, when the people behind etoys don't use, nor
> maintain, nor can make any kind of assurance about etoys in 3.9.

Because I truly believe that this is lack of energy and _not_ lack of
good will on their part.
We should strive to bring them back and not to exclude them. Having
all the tools available for 3.9 helps the etoys developers as much as
the seaside developers.

So I fully support Ron's view:
>> My suggestion for 3.10 is to work towards consolidating current
>> advancements
>> from all platforms, Tweak, eToys, Croquet and OLPC into Squeak's
>> main image.
>> This follows the suggestion of finding work that is already
>> completed and
>> ready for inclusion into the main image.

Having universes from Lex should support us in doing so.

> In fact I think its contraproducent to keep etoys in this setup.
> Because we risk that anyone wanting to use squeak because of etoys,
> they might have a bad etoy experience because they are using 3.9.
> I, on the other hand, would always direct all the people interested
> in etoys to an squeakland image instead.
>
> Lastly I would like to ask Ron, Klaus, Jecel, Lex, Marcus,

This would be Markus in that case... ;-)

> and the other people that on this thread said that wanted to keep
> etoys if they have considered this issue and I would like to know
> what they think. Again. Apologies if my mail didn't sound right. I
> am just curious and no offense was meant to anyone.

Cheers,

Markus