Thoughts from an outsider

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 09:24:01 UTC 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:07 PM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Rich Warren puso en su mail :
>
>> The biggest UI problem I have is the fact that Squeak's private
>> window really mucks with my regular work flow. Typically I use Expose
>> a lot--it lets me move effortlessly from window to window (I know, a
>> lot of people don't like Expose--my wife can't stand it. But it
>> really works for me). I can move between apps very quickly. I can
>> also move between all the windows of a single application.
>>
>> There would be a very big efficiency gain if I could manage my Squeak
>> windows the same way I manage my other Mac windows.
> As I say, you could have any UI .
> Someone did a Expose like in Squeak, a long ago, but I don't
> remember who.
> Or use John Mac AppleScript hooks for raise real Mac UI elements or
> use Mac
> Services or use Unix under the hood power.
>
> Edgar

While it's true that I can reprogram the Squeak UI however I wish,
that isn't a trivial process. And it's not really a satisfying answer
to the problem.

Remember, I'm talking about barriers to entry. Things that might make
a newbie look at Squeak, but turn away. The user interface (as
provided) is (for many people) a barrier to entry. Most of us get
over it, but it's still a barrier.

-Rich-