Rome on Mac

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Sep 3 04:07:45 UTC 2006

Thank you for finding this, someone not versed in lipo and using a
debug VM could have reported this issue and I could have spent quite
a bit of time trying to understand why it didn't work.

I reviewed all my plugins and it seems when I compiled up the
FT2Plugins and the Rome plugin I said mtune=G4.
Tsk.

So I've recompiled the plugins and stuck them via my idisk/Sophie/
folder found via the fileSharing html link on
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html

There is now a FT2Plugin.2.2.1z2.bundle.zip and a RomePlugin.
1.0.1.bundle.zip
which should work for any power PC cpu type.

On 2-Sep-06, at 8:02 AM, Dominique Dutoit wrote:

>> If the 'RomePlugin bf.29 24 August 2006 (e)' plugin is not loaded
>> it's likely I'll need to get you a debug VM so we can print out the
>> results of the load of the plugin attempt to see why the plugin did
>> not load
>
> The debug VM says that the current architecture is not supported:
>
> dlopen(/Users/dominique/Documents/Projets/SqueakVM/build/
> Development/Squeak VM Opt.app/Contents/Resources/RomePlugin.bundle/
> Contents/MacOS/RomePlugin, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
> 	/Users/dominique/Documents/Projets/SqueakVM/build/Development/
> Squeak VM Opt.app/Contents/Resources/RomePlugin.bundle/Contents/
> MacOS/RomePlugin: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
>
> According to 'lipo', the supported architectures are i386 and
> ppc7400 and this is the reason why I can't run the plugin on my
> iBook G3 (ppc750). I did make a test on a Power Mac G4 and it works
> as expected.
>
> Any chance of having a non-G4 optimised version soon ?

===