3.9 Oddities

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 05:19:16 UTC 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 4:03 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> On 4 sept. 06, at 11:52, Rich Warren wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to move from 3.8 to 3.9, and I have a couple of odd
>> problems.
>>
>> In text areas, there are often odd boxes at the beginning of
>> lines. These do not show up in 3.8. Any idea how I can get rid of
>> them?
>
> The "odd boxes" are bad characters that before were displayed as
> character space.
> And it helps showing when you are copying and pasting code from web
> page and other foreign source.
> Often I could not find the bugs and rewrite all the code that the
> students copied from pdf for example.

They seem so prevalent. I though they might be a difference in EOL
symbols between Win/Mac/Unix. Does squeak use a standard end of line
character? Or does it vary based on OS. Is there a way you can adjust
this setting, or automatically convert documents?

More to the point, why do they show up in 3.9 but not in 3.8?

-Rich-