Using a Squeaklet with SSL

Rudolf Coetsee rudolfcoetsee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:27:50 UTC 2006

Hi

I have a Squeklet running in Internet Explorer, it uses the
*"HTTPSocket>>httpGetDocument:
url args: args accept: mimeType request: requestString"* method to make HTTP
requests to a web site running on IIS. This works fine under normal
circumstances, but when the IIS setting is changed to "Require SSL", the
method fails.

Initially I thought it was due to this line:

 bare _ (url asLowercase beginsWith: 'http://')
  ifTrue: [url copyFrom: 8 to: url size]
  ifFalse: [url].

which obviously would not work with a url starting with "https://", so I
changed the line to this:

 bare _ (url asLowercase beginsWith: 'http://')
  ifTrue: [url copyFrom: 8 to: url size]
  ifFalse: [
    (url asLowercase beginsWith: 'https://')
     ifTrue: [url copyFrom: 9 to: url size]
     ifFalse: [url].
    ].

Squeak now attempts to send through the request, but IIS refuses to serve
the page. I think it is because the HTTPSocket issues a request without
specifying the scheme to be used, as it is simply stripped off the url and
discarded, but I don't know where to change it so that it will issue a
request using the  "https://" scheme.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RUDOLF COETSEE