Info on Smalltalk DSLs or Metaprogramming...

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 6 20:07:12 UTC 2006

Hi!

"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nice.  I didn't see Gjallar on the squeak projects page or on the seaside
> site.  Where are you
> advertised? :)

Gjallar is an inhouse developed issue tracker that has recently been
open sourced by the customer. I work as a consultant. The current web
site is here:

	http://swiki.krampe.se/gjallar

We haven't had time to "advertise" it yet. But it has been announced on
squeak-dev a little while back.

The current release is strictly "developers only".

> Also, do you think those two classes you mentioned could be used to make a
> squeak script
> front end?  I mean, would it be possible to change some classes of how the
> image acts on
> start up to give arguments to classes like those and try to run them?

Possible indeed, rather simple I think - but I am not sure what is
actually needed.

The basic mechanism of executing scripts using command line arguments is
already present in the image and in the VM. I use it to "jump start"
images on headless machines for example. Like a small script that fires
up Seaside, sets some settings etc. It is a bit awkward to specify the
file as a *correct* file URL, but it works.

But granted I am unsure how the current mechanism deals with syntax
errors, undeclared vars, etc. Not sure what feedback you get - if any.
:) So yes, that might be worth looking at - unless someone else has
already done it. It is not the first time this "scriptability" thing has
popped up.

And almost all other issues that have been extensively discussed the
last few weeks on Squeak-dev have also been discussed on numerous
occasions for the last 10 years. Yup, I am not kidding. And I am not
trying to dissuade you all from pursuing these discussions by all means
- but you might want to do some digging in archives. There is a LOT to
be found there.

For example - the problem and ideas around documentation and a
documentation team is a really well known "issue" in the Squeak
community. There have been numerous attempts, numerous ideas (one
example from me even called the Magic Book), numerous failures and also
numerous small successes.

And if you search the Swiki you could find for example:
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3004
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2997

Hmmm, but I really intended to talk about this in another post, sorry.

regards, Göran