Info on Smalltalk DSLs or Metaprogramming...

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Sep 6 21:12:29 UTC 2006

> The place smalltalk gets it's new developers is the place
> everyone gets
> them: mostly from
> the existing base of developers.  But if you want to get

True

> people from the existing base then they have to see that this
> language is going to help them get their work done.

And they are, Squeak is growing well.

> This is why so many people switched from Perl to Ruby and
> Python.  It was a familiar world but without all the badness
> of the world they currently lived in.

And Ruby draws attention to Smalltalk, since it's heavily influenced by
Smalltalk.

> I am not saying smalltalk needs to turn into java, certainly
> not.  But there need to be some things that java people
> recognize.  Like documentation in a form they expect.  And
> maybe a simple script interface for people comming from that
> side of the house.

Nah, the Java developers are running in droves to Ruby, great, it'll
acclimate them to Smalltalk, Ruby is after all Smalltalk lite.  You can't be
a Ruby programmer, and not hear of Smalltalk, it's only natural to check it
out.

> I relize it has been tried before.  But I think it has to be
> tried again until it works. :)

You assume it isn't working now, but it is, Seaside's bringing many a new
developer to Smalltalk, myself included.  Watch the lists, there's plenty of
new developers popping up all the time.