[IDEAS] Looking at Factor

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 18:19:48 UTC 2006

Giovanni Giorgi writes:

 > I am studying factor and would be quite easy to build a
 > Squeak-bytecode2factor compiler.
 > Because factor  has a x86/PPC compiler, we can get for free a very
 > fast Squeak at the end.

If your goal is to make Squeak much faster then helping out on
Exupery would probably be less work with more gain. Exupery can
already compile almost all of Squeak's bytecodes. It has polymorphic
inline caches to speed up sends. It can compile blocks. It can
dynamically inline primitives.

The current priorities are compiling more primitives and fixing bugs
aiming at getting to a 1.0 release as soon as possible.

Bryce