3.9 Oddities

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Sep 7 21:58:38 UTC 2006

> And one more question (ok, series of related questions), if
> everyone else is completely set against changing the way Squeak
> handles newlines, what are we going to do with all the existing
> code that is littered with these ugly glyphs? Surely we're not
> going to just leave them the way they are?

who is we?
We tried but we got some problems because some packages cannot be
reloaded.

> How are we going to handle viewing and editing text documents--
> particularly text documents that come from Windows systems? Is
> there a benefit to displaying the text in a way other than what the
> author intended? Or are we going to force people to deal with these
> documents outside the Squeak environment?

Better importer/exporters should do the work but someone has to code
them.

> What happens if I want to convert an existing web site to seaside?
> Am I going to be forced to convert all my html documents before I
> can copy the parts I want and paste them into my seaside application?

Have you tried?
I guess that only css styles should be converted.

> I agree that we should leave alone any strange characters that have
> potentially ambiguous meanings. Displaying them as a default glyph
> seems reasonable. But, as far as I can tell, the common end of line
> encodings do not fall into this category.
>
> I'm sorry if I came across too strong earlier. However, this whole
> issue just seems ridiculous to me. If there's a good reason for it,
> fine. I'd love to hear it. But, if we're creating problems in a
> large number of cases just to solve a few odd corner cases (or
> worse yet, creating problems with no benefit whatsoever), then I
> think its a bad trade.

This is not that simple.
We are on mac, pc, linux, unix, risc os.......

Stef