[ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Sep 8 07:28:29 UTC 2006

Hi!

Noury Bouraqadi <bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We should call it the ESUG release, since it has been done here at
> Prague :-)
> BTW, Stéf was so tired yesterday that he forgot to mention that this
> is the final 3.9.
>
> I'm making this announce though I wasn't involved in the integration
> process. But, the final built and tests were done in the hotel room
> I'm sharing with Stéf and Serge. Marcus, Adrian,
> Thorsten, and Bernhard were there too. The room was a bit crowded :-)
>
> Thanks to all people who participate to 3.9.
> Noury

And let me be the first (?) to congratulate you all!

It's been a rocky road but you pulled through and now we all have a nice
fresh piece of image that we can jump onto. It is a psychological
important step - a release. Even though it probably still has a bunch of
problems/bugs or whatever - we now have a common baseline that we can
grab and try to move into.

Again, thanks for all your hard work - bring out the champagne and let's
have fun! I will try to verify some of my packages in 3.9 ASAP.

regards, Göran

PS. For the next release, whatever its number - we should probably try
to spread the workload in some way. I know - it is note easy, and we did
try it for 3.9 with teams etc. But perhaps a bit of community
coordination and prodding is all we need to finally get those stewarding
teams rolling a bit more. But at the end of the day we probably still
will need a dedicated release team - hard to avoid - but the next
release could then perhaps be made smaller in scope.