3.9 Oddities

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Sep 9 07:44:23 UTC 2006

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Has anybody mentioned to Rich that one of the reason is that the
> compiled methods hold integer indice into .changes and .sources files?

This is not a valid reason (as are all the others in my opinion).
Transparent Cr/Lf handling does not prevent byte-oriented positioning
which is the only requirement for indexing sources and changes file. I
have advocated the use of CrLfFileStream since 1997 and nobody has ever
brought a technical reason forward why this wouldn't be feasible. I
still feel just as strongly as back then and it's plain incomprehensible
(in particular for source code) not to do CrLf conversion upon input.
Why would we *knowingly* screw up the source code with Lfs intermingled?

Cheers,
   - Andreas