3.9 Oddities

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 14:14:12 UTC 2006

SqueakCommunity activate: #enlightenedSelfInterest.

On 9/10/06, Rich Warren <rwmlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2006, at 4:14 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > So after all of this energetic opinionating, have you bothered to
> > take the time to enable CrLfFileStream in your own image?
> > It will
> > take you about 20 keystrokes, which could doubtless be improved, but
> > is still considerably less that it took me to to compose this note.
>
> No.
>
> But there's a logical reason (or at least, a reason that seemed
> logical within the confines of my own mind).

Since you appear somewhat invested in Squeak, you will likely want to
explore 3.9 and since this may not get resolved to your liking, knowing
whether enabling CrLfFileStream is workable would seem to be valuable. If
so, 20 keystrokes is a small price to pay.

... snip ...

> If 3.9 is released in its current state, then I won't be the only
> person who loads packages, only to be barraged with ugly boxes
> littering their code base. I suspect others will also find this
> disturbing (both from an aesthetics view and from a why-didn't-
> someone-fix-this-I-wonder-what-else-they-missed view). As I said
> elsewhere, I think its important to lower the barrier of entry for
> new Squeakers. It will be a lot easier to convince people to give
> Squeak an honest try if the code base looks clean.
>
> I hate to say it, but appearances are important. And so are first
> impressions.
>
> You're free to ignore everything I've said. But I do think the issue
> is worth thinking about, and I hope it was worth discussing.

Fortunately the discussion isn't closed :-) I agree that it is not a good
thing for the official release of Squeak to be displaying boxes - even for
many(most?) existing Squeakers. However if people doing all the hard work of
getting this out strongly disagree, hopefully they will find it reasonable
to place a prominent notice/tip/explanation about end of line handling so
that people are aware. Surely the time to do that will be much smaller than
the time that will be eaten up in reasonable questions from people who
didn't know. This is not an issue that will go away quietly.

Laurence

-Rich-