VM and memory on win32

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Thu Sep 14 23:09:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:36:47 -0700, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
wrote:

> The answer to memory limit is simple: We can't use more than a gig just
> because Windows won't let us. If you review the memory layout used by
> Windows you'll find that only 2GB are available as user space to begin
> with. Inside that address space we need to map both the executable,
> various portions of memory allocated by the VM directly (buffers etc),
> some Windows resources plus the actual Squeak object memory. And since
> Squeak requires contiguous portions of memory the chances of being able
> to allocate more than 1GB are very slim.

One of the neat things with VisualWorks is it does not have this
limitation. I've run VW images under Solaris that were up in the 1.7 GB
range, and from what I've heard those guys (where I used to work, and am
about to start working again) are now running 3.5 GB images.

Of course, VW doesn't require contiguous memory, since old space is
segmented...

Later,
Jon