VM and memory on win32

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 15 02:03:37 UTC 2006

a) I'm not sure anyone has done a full audit to confirm if you run at
say the 2GB to 3GB boundary that squeak will run and *all*
functionality will work as expected, just because it runs doesn't
mean it's not cheerfully rotting bits under you...

b) There *was* work which seems to have a lack of interest on the
64bit version of squeak, again signed address restrict one to 63bits
of address space, yes  yes the UI is all 32bit, but someday...

c) The mac carbon VM is set to 512MB in info.plist because when I set
it to 1GB sometimes it would load at the 2GB boundary and then squeak
in the past would *die* really fast.

On 14-Sep-06, at 4:48 PM, Jon Hylands wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:48:46 -0700, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Jon Hylands wrote:
>>> One of the neat things with VisualWorks is it does not have this
>>> limitation. I've run VW images under
>
>>> Solaris
>
>>> that were up in the 1.7 GB
>>> range, and from what I've heard those guys (where I used to work,
>>> and am
>>> about to start working again) are now running 3.5 GB images.
>>
>> On Windows? Really? That would be news to me.

>    Jon Hylands      Jon at huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon
>
>   Project: Micro Seeker (Micro Autonomous Underwater Vehicle)
>            http://www.huv.com

===