[Squeakland] How can the knights of the square brackets help the quest 2Be1?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 15 08:09:02 UTC 2006

Markus Gaelli wrote:
> Did anyone of you consider not to store the docs/specs of Etoys
> statically, but the commands to recreate the docs?
> I am imagining sth like "Create standard playfield at 100 at 100 called
> SolarSystem / Change color of SolarSystem to black/ Drop standard
> ellipse into SolarSystem called sun/... and so on.

Yes, Ted did some work on this in Tweak. The goal was to enable a user
to get an understanding about some other user's project (this was
actually triggered by some eToys project of yours where I couldn't for
the hell of it figure out how you'd done it and wondered if there isn't
a way for the system to explain that project to me). This is an
interesting line of work but not quite complete enough to be feasible
right now (also, it works only in Tweak since it relies on being able to
record the user vs. the system modifications - in Tweak, we keep track
of such end-user changes in an objects "tweaks" which is a list of user
modifications readily available for analysis).

> According to
> http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/OSCNetwork.html (what's in a name...;-)
> csound comes with osc, and I happen to have written an osc-client and
> server for squeak found on Squeakmap, maybe this could be of some help
> to you?

I don't know much about either CSound or OSC. It'd be great if there
were some eToys UI for it, that would allow one to play a series of
notes from some holder or so.

Cheers,
   - Andreas