[Enh][VM] primitiveApplyToFromTo for the heart of the enumeration of collections?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Sep 17 15:53:51 UTC 2006

Hi Bert,

on Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:17:10 +0200, you wrote:
> Am 17.09.2006 um 03:37 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:
>
>> Not doing anything but waiting for Godot has nothing to do with
>> innovation, only with stagnation, IMO.
>
> Keep on discussing, implementing, benchmarking, etc. :) This might even
> convince people that rather want to err on the conservative side.

:)

> For example, I'd strongly oppose anything that reduces general send
> performance,

I think about moving the glue (in #commonSend, #commonReturn) out of the
way, to a place where performance cannot not suffer, where the price is
already payed: 0% .

> whereas requiring a new VM for a new image to run at full speed is fine
> by me.

That's perhaps the best way to distribute it, as an optional .mcz package
(the user just recompiles the VM), together with the changes to the
Collection hierarchy. So the burden is not on the VM maintainers (and
other maintainers). Applying kiss.

/Klaus