join

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 14:40:11 UTC 2006

It appears to be to be a discrepancy between the smalltalk way and these
'other' languages.

in ruby

[ 'a', 'b', 'c' ].join(', ')

in smalltalk to achieve the same thing, including the specification that
the result should be a String, arguably could be

' ,' join: #('a' 'b' 'c')

but I can bet that if you are trying to satisfy the aesthetic
requirements of users of 'other' languages (those languages with
supposedly less brackets), they will take one look at this smalltalk
version and say that it is the wrong way around.

so... if you do want the wrong way around for them, we need a right way
around for us.
how about #joining:

aCollection>>join:bCollection
^bCollection joining: aCollection