things that make squeak slow (was Re: FormCanvas>>transformBy:clippingTo:during:smoothing (How to followup))

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Sep 19 21:24:32 UTC 2006

On 19-Sep-06, at 2:14 PM, Peace Jerome wrote:

> I've been look into things that make squeak slow

After many years involvement, my opinion is that the chief thing that
'makes smalltalk  slow' is that it is so easy to write code that is
good enough that nobody bothers to revisit it later. Combine that
with the mindset it supports of 'ooh, lets try this way' and there
you are; partially finished, almost-good ideas by the dozen.

Smalltalk as a language is not slow; even the very simplistic
interpreter we use for Squeak is amazingly fast. Smalltalk as a
system embodying loads of fantastic and scads of horrific code is
slow. Sometimes.

tim
You forgot to do your backup 16 days ago.  Tomorrow you'll need that
version.