things that make squeak slow (was Re: FormCanvas>>transformBy:clippingTo:during:smoothing (How to followup))

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Sep 19 21:44:45 UTC 2006

On 19-Sep-06, at 2:34 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>> On 19-Sep-06, at 2:14 PM, Peace Jerome wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been look into things that make squeak slow
>> After many years involvement, my opinion is that the chief thing that
>> 'makes smalltalk  slow' is that it is so easy to write code that is
>> good enough that nobody bothers to revisit it later. Combine that
>> with
>> the mindset it supports of 'ooh, lets try this way' and there you
>> are;
>> partially finished, almost-good ideas by the dozen.
> Not suggesting that one should not go back and "finish" code  -
> but, I'm
> sure you agree that one of ST strengths is the prototyping convenience
> of the environment

Absolutely - but a prototype is just that. It would be nice to see
something that might just possibly pass muster as 'finished' code.

Real Programmers Remember Rowledge's Rule:
Make it work
Make it work right
Make it work right , fast.

Too much code has just barely got past the 'make it' part of line 1.

tim
Strange OpCodes: DMZ: Divide Memory by Zero