OLPC eToys!

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 19 21:52:18 UTC 2006

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Milan,
>
>> Thanks for sharing progress and plans with us, eToys and OLPC admirerers and
>> fans.
>
>   Thank you!
>
>> For testers, do you have any particular things to look at, perhaps loading
>> existing eToys projects, making sure they still work, building new projects,
>> or just generic playing?
>
>   Existing eToys may not work, but I would like you to test many
> stuff.

What would be really interesting is if someone could come up with a way
to author projects at their native OLPC resolution (1200x900) while
viewing them at half that size, that is, scaled by 0.5 in a 600x450
window. This is because the actual resolution of the display is 200 dpi,
whereas a normal monitor has 100 dpi.

Of course we also need cool example projects to show off all the stuff
that is accessible for etoys (remember the "Worlds of Squeak" projects
that were in Squeak releases prior to 3.8?).

>> Also, is there a VM preference for testing (3.9 on Linux?)

We use the very latest Linux VM, which is 3.9-8 (only available from SVN
for now). I did set up a build system, follow the Sugar instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

>   Ideally, the VM should be the one built from SVN repository
> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/sugar/, but 3.9 line of Linux VM is pretty
> much identical so far.

In fact, it is identical, because it is just pulling the latest from SVN
  on checkout.

- Bert -