OLPC eToys!

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 20 17:12:34 UTC 2006

Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> On 2006 September 19 17:52, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> What would be really interesting is if someone could come up with a way
>> to author projects at their native OLPC resolution (1200x900) while
>> viewing them at half that size, that is, scaled by 0.5 in a 600x450
>> window. This is because the actual resolution of the display is 200 dpi,
>> whereas a normal monitor has 100 dpi.
>
> Hmm. I never really tried a resolution outside of the "standard" (1280x960
> etc), but if setting X to non-standard resolution to 1200x900 / 600x450
> works .. if I build a project on the higher resolution and then restart X on
> lower, and run the project - is that what you have in mind?

No, I was actually looking for something to simulate the user experience
of the OLPC display on a regular display. I'd like to have a
"minification glass" I put on top of the actual 1200x900 Squeak project
to make its physical size on the monitor be 600x450 pixels. For example,
I think there are VNC clients that can scale down a remote display, that
might be one idea to achieve what I want.

>> Of course we also need cool example projects to show off all the stuff
>> that is accessible for etoys (remember the "Worlds of Squeak" projects
>> that were in Squeak releases prior to 3.8?).
>
> Heh, I use a stretched captured of that "Squeak Rulez" window as my laptop
> background image when working in the office on my Java contract :)) -
> generated a few questions, it is a really nice background. That aside, would
> porting the Worlds of Squeak be of interest?

Maybe - what we want to show is the things that set etoys apart from all
the other apps that are on the laptop.

>> We use the very latest Linux VM, which is 3.9-8 (only available from SVN
>> for now). I did set up a build system, follow the Sugar instructions at
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys
>>
>>>   Ideally, the VM should be the one built from SVN repository
>>> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/sugar/, but 3.9 line of Linux VM is pretty
>>> much identical so far.
>> In fact, it is identical, because it is just pulling the latest from SVN
>>   on checkout.
>
> I plan to test the image for sure over the weekend, whether I manage to build
> the VM is in question :(, as I run KDE and suspect some gnome libraries
> dependencies fight etc, but will try!

You don't need to use that VM, or even Linux.

- Bert -