Sockets broken on Macs?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Sep 21 01:31:09 UTC 2006

On a mac, being the administrator doesn't mean you are root
automatically, a small security measure. Unlike *cough* other
operating systems where root/admin is a theoretical concept, with
fuzzy implementation completely side-stepped by all users on the
machine...

Lastly if you dig about in the os-x unix roots you'll find sudo so
you can set a squeak process to run as super user to get access to
ports < 1024 and the user does not have to be admin. However this is
not a good solution you might consider some more research to see how
to avoid running squeak as root.

On 20-Sep-06, at 6:10 PM, brad fowlow wrote:

> You'd have to sudo the Squeak process in order bind low-numbered
> ports.
>
> (Being an administrator means you can sudo,
> but normal processes aren't run as super-user unless you ask.)
>

> On Sep 20, 2006, at 5:10 PM, Robert Withers wrote:
>
>>    I don't particularly know why it couldn't run at a lower port
>> as I am an administrator.

===