[ANN] Squeak Documentation Project

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:43:37 UTC 2006

Hi  Lex, Mathew,

I have seen the swiki and perhaps my choice of words "creating a wiki"
was wrong and misleading. I do think that  the language ref
particularly needs 'the love' Brad is talking about. I have found that
the php reference was the best I've ever used.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/
The reason is that there is a quick way to find the info on the
particular php function, where you find its description, example code
and usage notes from users. We could do something similar. However I
feel that most smalltalkers first get familiar (newbies like me) with
the system browser while exploring code and so if the index page of
the ref manual is organized the same way then one could quickly find a
class>>method page and the information there could follow the same
format for all methods:

Example code: ...................

This could use some nice css to box each section in a squeak like
frame with different colors etc.

WHy not emulate and improve upon something that works really well?

Seaside halos already exposes the object heirarchy. Perhaps this could
be extended to be the documentation engine with the code edit
capability ofcourse turned off?

-bakki