[ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 02:40:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 07:26:08PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> >> I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
> >> Squeak Documentation Team:
> >> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
> >> I will commit to creating a useful Squeak Tutorial
> >
> > One thing I will note is that there is a difference between "teach new
> > Squeakers how to become excellent Squeakers" (as stated in first
> > paragraph) and "teach a new Squeaker how to be an excellent Morphic
> > programmer" (as stated under deliverables). The first one I'd expect
> > to be a lot about the tools whereas the latter I'd much more expect to
> > be about certain class libraries.
> As well as a difference between documenting and teaching  (creating a
> tutorial in this case.)
> Matthew: is your quest to build a team to create Squeak educational
> projects - such as "Newbie-Tutorial.pr", or to create documentation?
> While they overlap, their focus is quite different.

Thank you for pointing that out. My intent is to create a
textual tutorial on the Swiki or elsewhere. I believe I can
handle that task. I think that a live tutorial is the focus
of the non-existent Magic Book project:
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at:9009/998031382.asHtml

My goal is to create, as quickly as possible, a very useful
textual guide to show (with text and pictures) a Squeak newbie
how to develop a useful Morphic application. As the tutorial
does that, the reader should get a feel for using the code
browsers, the object viewers, and the debugger to get the most
out of Squeak.

A live tutorial would be a good idea, but that is currently
beyond my capability. Once I write the tutorial, I should know
enough to write such an application. But not right now.

--
Matthew Fulmer