Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

Eric Winger eric at thewingers.net
Fri Sep 22 04:45:53 UTC 2006

Le Sep 21, 2006, à 8:25 PM, Matthew Fulmer a écrit :

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:47:52PM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>> I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
>> Squeak Documentation Team:
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
>
> I really want to introduce beginners to (and learn myself) how
> to write good unit tests, then develop a  class that conforms to
> those unit tests inside the debugger. I have heard that that
> capability is one of the best things about Smalltalk, and I know
> that unit tests are a *very* good thing to use.
>
> Should I expose a Squeak beginner to this topic early on?
> or should that be the topic of a separate tutorial?

I like what you mentioned in an earlier email about building an
application as a framework for a tutorial. And I think that doing
test-first development is wonderful. Even if its just a couple simple
tests on the model for the gui (assuming you choose to put a gui on it)

> I do not know if my tutorial will target novice programmers or
> not.

I would target novice programmers. Why not start there with a really
well-done intro tutorial that's up to date with the latest squeak dev
image and can be easily kept up to date?