[ANN] Squeak Documentation Project

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 25 12:18:04 UTC 2006

"Bakki Kudva" <bakki.kudva at gmail.com> writes:
> I have seen the swiki and perhaps my choice of words "creating a wiki"
> was wrong and misleading. I do think that  the language ref
> particularly needs 'the love' Brad is talking about. I have found that
> the php reference was the best I've ever used.
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/
> The reason is that there is a quick way to find the info on the
> particular php function, where you find its description, example code
> and usage notes from users.

It's even faster in Squeak -- you get all of this information directly
from your image, with no network delay.  You can even run the example
code directly, without having to cut and paste.

Thus, forgive me if I think people may be misunderstanding what is
already available.  Writing up a bunch of HTML documenting individual
methods and classes does not make sense for Squeak.

Instead, it makes sense to concentrate on two other areas:

  1. Improving Squeak's own self-documentation.  Many methods
  and classes are not documented.

  2. Write articles with broader scope.  If you want to know what
  the methods of Canvas are, then look in your image.  If you want to
  know how Canvas fits into the Morphic architecture, then you need
  to read a broader article about Morphic (e.g., the chapter in the
  "nu-blue" book).

-Lex