Squeak map colours

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Sep 25 20:04:23 UTC 2006

> > Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing
> commercial web
> > applications.
>
> Not perfect. Not even close. Just look at the hacks
> introduced in Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 because blocks in Squeak suck.

Yea, I know, I guess perfect was an overstatement.

> Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
> applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can
> tell you one thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will
> not require #fixTemps.

Nor does Squeak, if you use the new closure compiler, however, Seaside
attempts to do all the #fixTemps for you, you shouldn't have to think about.
I do lot's of seaside code and never have to call #fixTemps myself.

> Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me
> started on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or
> ...  or IO in general, urls, ... or browsers
>
> Philippe

Xml's a bit odd, I admit, SOAP though, works great.  I use SOAP between
Squeak and .Net daily, it's rock solid so far.  I had to beg the author of
SoapCore to add .Net support initially, since .Net's a bit odd, but since
then it's been great.  Squeak isn't perfect, but it's better than anything
else I've seen.

Ramón León
http://onsmalltalk.com