[ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 20:27:18 UTC 2006

>> been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can
>> be fixed for 3.9 VMs
>> It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely
>> release the image.
>> Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9
>> and that we start
>> on 3.10 :)
> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are
> you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an
> issue from higher up?

Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable bugs.
I do not think so. So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
I'm pretty sure it will not help.

VW has good VM because some smart guys are payed full time for that.
Now the community does not want to understand that
money (the stuff with believe has value) is a good way to make things
happening. So improvements will be slow and we should leave with
that. Now if every seasoned squeakers would put 100 $ on a pot we
could make that change. I tried with the foundation but failed. So
now I will watch (but sadly I know the answer).

Stef