SqueakMap issues (was Re: Squeak map colours)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Sep 26 08:40:57 UTC 2006

Hi!

"Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/9/25, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > "Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
> > > Smallthought, ... )?
> > >
> > > To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time SqueakMap
> > > worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.
> >
> > Eh, I am not sure how SqueakMap came into this thread but anyway:
> >
> > What error do you get? Doesn't it work for you now?
>
> Pick one.

Pick one? What do you mean?

> If none of the other shows up, you can be sure an EOCD error
> pops up.

Yes, this is an unfortunate situation that I need to go through. The
problem is that after I introduced the server side cache and SHA
checksumming apparently lots of releases either were non-available at
the time I initially populated the cache (which lead to crap files in
the server cache, and to make things worse - crappy checksums!) OR have
been unavailable when releases have been registered. I think.

At least that is the current state. If you open a transcript when trying
to install/download something and it complains about the checksum and
"trying server cache" then there may very well be a problem. It compared
the faulty checksum with the correct (presumably) data from the original
URL and then decides to use the server side cache instead which contains
faulty data. Not very helpful ;).

> Then I usally download and install the file manually.
> I don't know why SqueakMap can't do that for me.

Because there is no such menu choice today (one that ignores the SHA
checksum and just downloads anyway). I can add one though.

The real medicine is probably to clean the server side cache and/or
figure out why it got filled with bad data in the first place.

And we could also thirdly add a button somewhere in the map web UI to
"repopulate server cache and recalculcate SHA checksum". That is done
automatically whenever you modify the URL of a release today - but it
could be helpful to have such a button to "repair" entries.

> Philippe

regards, Göran