What's over the horizon?

Aaron Reichow areichow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:01:08 UTC 2007

JJ-

>> Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
>> a) designed
>> b) documented
>> c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing
>> with  vectors instead of pixmaps.
>
> Does everyone feel that the MVC/MVP paradym is not a good one?
> Dolphin's MVP seemed quite good to me.
>
> For some of these things, it might be good to work out a kind of
> spec for what is expected for these systems we want upgraded so
> that if anyone is looking for a project they can pick it up and
> know what the goal is.

I know that your response might not be to what Tim meant, but just a
response/question in general, but in the case it isn't- he isn't
talking about killing off the MVC paradigm. He might have a beef with
the idea of MVC, but I do believe that in this email he was talking
more about ditching the MVC GUI in Squeak, the original Smalltalk-80
GUI toolkit that has shipped in every Squeak release.  It is
something that doesn't get much use these days, now that computers
are faster; even slower machines (PDAs, 133 MHz (?) PCs/Macs) can
handle Morphic decently.

MVC is a very fast performer, but limited compared to Morphic, Tweak,
or other GUI toolkits (GTK+, Qt, Tk) in a lot of ways.  But you can
run it on a 33 MHz machine and it performs just fine. :)  But I'd
imagine that only a few people on this list use MVC for much or
develop out of MVC. I think Jon Hylands with his HUV stuff did at one
point, but maybe even he moved on to Morphic...

Just to clarify-

Regards,
Aaron