Squeak-dev/Squeak-web image v95-2

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sat Apr 7 05:59:20 UTC 2007

  Hello,

  I found that the wikipedia article (and the section on the input
methods) Philippe quoted was pretty badly written.  (And biased and
missed to mention the other real problems of Unicode.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode#Input_methods

  The majority of wide character users in the world are using more
intelligent input methods that knows about the context and figure out
the most likely result as well as the lists other possibilities for
the user.  And, the user choose it.  And, like some input methods in
Emacs for latin languages, there is nothing wrong to use sequence to
"input" one "character".

  Anyway, what we could do are:

  1) A two-key sequence with $_ and $ (space) gets converted to u2191
     *and* a space.  A $_ not followed by space will be $_.  Or,
  2) The frontend of paragraph editor converts two key sequence with $< and
     $- to u2191.  (If you would like to input a string '<-', you
     would type $<, $ , $- and then remove the space.)  Or,
  3) $\ could be a beginning of a special sequence.  That character,
     followed by 'leftarrow' would be converted to u2191.

  I like the first one most, btw.  One could add a feature that show
the list of possible results in 1) or 2) and let the user choose.

-- Yoshiki