Squeak-dev/Squeak-web image v95-2

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Apr 9 15:22:17 UTC 2007

On 9-Apr-07, at 2:51 AM, J J wrote:

>> From: Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org>
>> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> Subject: Re: Squeak-dev/Squeak-web image v95-2
>> Date: 07 Apr 2007 16:13:43 -0400
>>
>> I get the argument for going to Unicode, though that is not without
>> its problems.  What bugs me is redefining _ and ^ in non-standard
>> ways.  It's awkward and obscure.
>
> Who wants to do that?  I think _ should mean _.  If we want an
> arrow for assignment and there is one in Unicode then we should
> provide a way to input it and use that.  And we could provide a
> preference to use only ASCII for people who want to, but the _
> assignments should go away imho.

Exactly; I certainly didn't intend to suggest "redefining _ and ^ in
non-standard
ways" and I don't think I saw anyone else do so. We have the option
of using proper characters that are outside the narrow scope of mere
ASCII to improve our system. I posit the we should so do.

tim
Useful random insult:- Ought to have a warning label on his forehead.