What's over the horizon?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 9 17:52:14 UTC 2007

I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked on
was Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI frameworks
I've used. For example, the coalescing of events is not something
that I had problems with - but others find it confusing, and I
wouldn't rule out completely that there are still bugs lurking in there.

That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow what
happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not enough usage
it gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature only because they
were used and improved in day-to-day work by its developers. Nobody
spent much time on the Tweak tools yet. E.g., the Sophie developers
could not spend time on improving the tools because they were too
busy developing Sophie (which also is much more complex UI-wise than
your regular app).

I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and alive
as the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about it
vanishing any time soon.

- Bert -