Strange InvalidDirectoryErrors on Unix

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 10 05:30:32 UTC 2007

Hi Folks -

I had an odd effect today and I'm wondering if other people might have
seen something similar in the past. One of our Linux servers (which has
been running happily for a week) has an update process running which
every five minutes checks to see if there is new data on the disk and if
so, updates itself from it.

Today, I noticed that it stopped updating itself and investigating
showed that it hit repeatedly an "InvalidDirectoryError" when trying to
update itself. Trying to understand what was going on I went into the
system life via VNC and stepped through the update method and suddenly
it started working again! No more InvalidDirectoryErrors, updating went
fine.

I'm at a complete loss as what might have caused this error.
Unfortunately (since I was doing it on the life system) I couldn't
investigate the error condition closer but there is a possibility that
directory service had been used from different threads. Anyone having
any ideas? (the only thing I am certain is that attaching VNC was *not*
what it made it working again - I saw the error while I was in there
with VNC and it became working again after I stepped through the method).

Any help is greatly appreciated. So are similar experiences and
workarounds for the issue. The server itself is running Fedora Core 4.

Cheers,
   - Andreas