[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 08:59:33 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas,

2007/4/11, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
> that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
> feet.

You should have told us immediately :-)

> I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the intent of Universes, but
> isn't the idea that the packages are tested together before they get
> released?

You are right. Packages in the universe have to work together.
However, there are several things you (and others) should know:

- Squeak-dev images use a Development Universe, this is not a stable
universe. Things evolve. There are bugs and I'm waiting for feedback.
There is a 3.7 universe, a 3.8 universe and a 3.9 universe. There are
stable.
- I'm nearly the only one who is updating the Development Universe so
I can't test everyhing.
- If nobody tells me something does not work, it won't evolve unless I
notice a new version that can be tried.

> Like, in this version (107) Rio-Kernel explodes on me in its
> initialization (and from the way the code looks it couldn't possibly
> work - it needs a valid RioKernel::Default to initialize
> RioKernel::Default); trying to browse to some class has Whisker explode
> straight into my face (something about MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph
> not liking something from WhiskerWindow>>selectClass:), etc.

- I tried Rio and Rio-Kernel a little bit before publishing on
Universe. I didn't saw your problem. I've just tried again and still
can't reproduce. However, if I load the tests from SqueakSource, they
don't pass. I will then update the Universe with the last version from
monticello in a few minutes.

> What am I doing wrong? Have these packages been tested? Should I expect
> them to work? My understanding was that the difference between Universes
> and Squeakmap is that Universes only include things that actually play
> together, is this understanding wrong?

The main difference between Universes and SqueakMap, as I understand
it, is that someone can group known-to-work packages in a universe
made for a given Squeak version. If there is a problem with a package,
I can still upgrade it to a newer version or remove it from the
universe.

> Thanks for any insights - I'm really wondering if I'm using this wrongly
> or if I have wrong expectations; I tried about three Squeak-dev versions
> all with similar results and since I see people raving about Squeak-dev
> and Universes I suspect I might be doing something wrong here...

It doesn't seem you are doing something wrong execept the fact you
didn't notified me before :-). About Rio, you may want to wait a few
minutes that a new version of both Rio and Rio-Kernel appears and try
it. If you still have problems, please tell us and tell Keith.

Bye

--
Damien Cassou