HV2 for Pier

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:14:21 UTC 2007

> Now, why am I doing this? I dunno. It was fun trying to grok Pier (Lukas
> sure likes the Visitor pattern! I recognize the style from Mewa and must
> confess I think it gets a bit too convoluted at times, but that's just me)
> and reviving HV2 a bit.

This is impossible. These visitors were already present in SmallWiki
and SmallWiki is older than Mewa. I learned the Visitor patter from
the Refactoring Browser and the Pier document representation is
essentially the same as the AST of a compiler. With the only
difference that I don't generate byte-codes but XHTML views, plain
text, Latex, Wiki markup, etc.

I have not seen any other Wiki implementation doing this. Probably
other people like to write a lot of procedural code. Even better, if
they can duplicate it for the different output formats. Playing around
with strings and page long regular expressions must be fun. Sorry that
I skipped that:-)

Cheers,
Lukas

--