HV2 for Pier

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Apr 12 20:45:38 UTC 2007

Hi Lukas!

"Lukas Renggli" <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Now, why am I doing this? I dunno. It was fun trying to grok Pier (Lukas
> > sure likes the Visitor pattern! I recognize the style from Mewa and must
> > confess I think it gets a bit too convoluted at times, but that's just me)
> > and reviving HV2 a bit.
>
> This is impossible. These visitors were already present in SmallWiki
> and SmallWiki is older than Mewa. I learned the Visitor patter from

Well, I didn't mean to imply any chronology of implementation - just my
personal chronology of discovery. :)

> the Refactoring Browser and the Pier document representation is
> essentially the same as the AST of a compiler. With the only
> difference that I don't generate byte-codes but XHTML views, plain
> text, Latex, Wiki markup, etc.
>
> I have not seen any other Wiki implementation doing this. Probably
> other people like to write a lot of procedural code. Even better, if
> they can duplicate it for the different output formats. Playing around
> with strings and page long regular expressions must be fun. Sorry that
> I skipped that:-)

I am not saying it is "bad". And I am not saying I have any better
approach in my head, haven't bothered to reflect on that.
I just found the code a bit hard to follow because of it. I felt "bumped
around" pretty good. :)

regards, Göran