HV2 revival

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Apr 13 07:54:25 UTC 2007

Hi folks!

I am taking a new look at HV2, my interest rekindled by both Andreas
recent interest but also especially from Giovannis new work on it.

Some things I want to be true for HV2:

- Very simple to learn and use. This means small codebase, clean of junk
and made easy for YOU to enhance it at will. And good comments, examples
and tests.

- Made for RESTish (not as fundamental as REST-*ful*) apps but also being
a good image citizen playing along with both Seaside and other packages.

- A friendly place to help out. I gladly hand out write access to the
repository to people that show interest in it.

Personally I think it is quite messy right now, I want to go through it
all and clean out old junk and go through comments and make some more
examples.

Currently Giovanni is working on a new Canvas/Painter model similar but
independent of the one in Seaside. While the old model in HV2 "works" it
of course suffers from the same combinatorial explosion problem that
Seaside experienced with is old model (btw, HV2 and Seaside share the same
DOM model for that).

I started writing a HV2 layer on top of Pier, for fun. First I thought of
using Giovannis canvas stuff - but it is not there yet. Then I started
experimenting last night with a "piggy backing on Seaside" approach - I am
subclassing selected classes in Seaside in order to reuse most of the
Canvas model in there. It looks quite promising, but I haven't decided yet
how to deal with Forms etc, any ideas welcome.

Another thing mentioned before is that I would like to add "persistency"
to the Views. Currently the HV2 "view-chains" are created per request. But
if we use a session cookie we can keep them around and use instvars to
keep track of "view state" - much like Seaside does.

And oh, I have also decided to publish two apps I have written using it as
open source - my Homepage Builder and the World Cup betting site. At least
they will serve as examples to look at and adapt for your own needs.

Finally - the name HttpView2 really sucks. :) If/when we get these
improvements on the road (cleanup, Giovanni-canvas,
Seaside-piggyback-canvas) we should probably rename it.

regards, Göran

PS. And while doing this I also intend to squeeze out some improvements to
KomHttpServer, it's long due.