HV2 revival

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sun Apr 15 19:13:12 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Avi Bryant" <avi at dabbledb.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/07, Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net> wrote:
>
> > I looked at it. From what I saw it looks like the callbacks part is so
> > intertwined with the rest of Seaside that adapting it to HV2 would take
> > almost the same time as rebuilding it from scratch. But I'm using the
> > Seaside Canvas system as a reference for my Canvas/Painter system.
>
> That surprises me - the Canvas hierarchy looks like this:
>
> WACanvas
>    WAHtmlCanvas
>       WARenderCanvas
>
> WACanvas knows nothing about HTML (and we have some private subclasses
> for other XML dialects).  WAHtmlCanvas knows about HTML but nothing
> about callbacks (we use it for generating static/RESTful HTML pages).
> Only WARenderCanvas should be at all intertwined with the rest of the
> framework.

Right, this was/is also my understanding. Which also btw is the reason I
am testing my "piggy backing approach" (since it is so clearly
separated) and it seems to work fine "so far". :)

> However, if you end up with a cleaner system, I'd love to take a look
> at it, maybe we can go the other way and adopt it into Seaside.

One nice thing Giovanni does is using an XML parser and build unit tests
for the canvas/painter through that.

> Cheers,
> Avi

regards, Göran