[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Apr 16 14:16:01 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> writes:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
> > 2007/4/11, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> >> Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
> >> that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
> >> feet.
> > You should have told us immediately :-)
>
> Apparently so. Two more packages that fail to load are Video and Image
> Processing as well as Units (debug logs below).

Reports like this are very helpful, and are important for improving
the development universe.  Thank you!

You can leave these bugs on Mantis if you like.  Post such bugs
against "packages" and, if the package is not listed there (which is
likely), post against "Any" package.  If you are especially eager,
then also send an email to whoever is in the "maintainer" entry.

(I've posted this info on the wiki now.)

> I think an automated
> test that ensures that the packages can at least be loaded would be of
> great help here.

Yes, it would be.

> - I just tried to pick a couple that sounded
> interesting and (so far) roughly about 1/3rd don't even load.

That's a depressing rate if it generalizes past your tests.  It is
like Damien says, though: even with Damien working all the time on
this, he's just one person.  So please everyone do post bugs when you
find them.  They are acted upon.

> (another thing to fix is to make it possible to deselect a package -
> if one fails to load, you need to open a new universe browser and
> select all the same packages again).

Agreed.  Uninstall would also be nice, for people nice enough to post
Monticello packages.  (If you post a SAR or a changeset, then
uninstall is a real nuisance to implement, and is heuristic in the
best case.)

Lex